THE DETOX MENU

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 |

Hello!
I've gotten several emails and comments today all wanting to know exactly what detox Craig and I are doing. So, here it is: (This lasts for 9 days)
First, here are the things that you MUST eat everyday:
2 cups of brown rice
2 cups of low fat, skim, or soy milk
1 cup cooked oatmeal (Quaker oats of course...NOT the prepackaged stuff)
6 oz low fat plain yogurt
4 egg whites
2 cups herbal tea

-you may use any herbs and spices that you want
-you may eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want with the exception of white potatoes and avocados
-you need to eat 4-5 times per day

Here is what I have done, and it seems to be working pretty well.
I went to the grocery store and bought TONS of fresh veggies and fruit. When I got home I cut up most of the fruit, and made a HUGE fruit salad to keep handy in the fridge. I also diced up the veggies and put them in a bucket in the fridge as well. This way, we can munch on raw fresh veggies, OR I can just grab a handful of the mixed vegetables and stirfry them with a touch of olive oil.
I cooked a HUGE batch of brown rice, and stored that in the fridge so that I didn't have to cook the rice every day.
I get my oatmeal "over with" in the morning...(cause let me tell you that is the worst thing for me.....it is so BLAND! I have been adding cinnamon and blueberries to it, but it's still uugghhh!)
I also have my herbal tea in the morning.....if I wait until night time to drink tea, I am up all night in the bathroom!
I bought several cans of black beans, so for lunch and/or dinner, we have been eating sauteed veggies, with black beans and rice.
I am doing my egg whites whenever I have time to make them, and we have decided to eat our yogurt in the evening with fruit on top or blend my frozen fruit with the yogurt to make a smoothie out of it for our dessert.

So far so good.......I weighed myself yesterday morning and again this morning at the same time, and I lost one pound. Craig lost three!! (of course!! ugghhhh!)
We are not really doing this for the weight loss, but that's ALWAYS a bonus!!!!! We are trying to get our family to eat much more healthy, and in order to do that, we have to get our bodies ready for it! (with all the traveling this summer and no sense of schedule, we have been eating terribly, and it has to STOP!)
Please keep us in your prayers if you will, though we have done good without ANY cheating thus far, I realize that we are only on day two, and on day six or seven, I am just not sure how crazy I am going to be about black beans and rice!!!! ha!ha! Seriously.


    Subscribe Via Feed Subscribe to Technorati Subscribe to Google Subscribe to Yahoo! Subscribe to Blogmarks

4 comments:

  • alliekat
     

    Thank you for the menu! Good luck!

  • Anonymous
     

    Happy detoxing! My goodness - all those fruit & vegies...

    I have been working all week. I feel like I have been so out of touch with 'blogland', missing so many posts of the blogs a visit... I think I'd like to go back to just being Mummy. I'd get more laundry done, and more blogging!!!

    I laughed through your post of your weekend away. It's always dodgy when fellas get together...

    And your little, precious Grade twoer - hope he has a great year ahead of him for school, and that he thoroughly enjoys his bus rides each afternoon. There's a little Aussie Kid who would LOVE to ride the bus to and from school each day. But we don't have the kind of school bus services you seem to have in the States. My Angel Boy will just have to cop being driven to school by his Mama, who could cry at the thought of him even wanting to do that - pathetic, I know!!!

  • Rebekah
     

    Are you allowed to put some of your milk in your oatmeal? I like to put milk in my oatmeal, as it smooths it out more.

    You could also make pico de gallo to go on your black beans & rice - chopped tomatoes, onions, cilanto, a squeeze of lime juice. Pico tastes best if you mix it up & let the flavors mix for a while before the meal. Oh, maybe some sliced avocado too, are you allowed to have that? Then it would be like a big burrito bowl :)

    Good luck :)

  • Heather
     

    OK, so I'm just getting caught up on all your posts! I really don't like brown rice, but other than that the detox doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would. Of course, I'm not the one doing it! Ha!